The SOB Beer Blog
Our rants about beer and beer culture.
Who's Ready For Beer Ice Cream?
04.10.2013 12:45 PM
Spring is in the air and the temperatures are just starting to warm up in much of the country. Yet, here in Houston at the SaveOnBrew headquarters, it's been a pleasant 70+ degrees for weeks now. In a nutshell: We're ready for ice cream... BEER ice cream.
The good news comes from Portland, Oregon, which is giving craft beer lovers the opportunity to sample six new ice cream flavors made by their local brewmasters. On JUNE 1ST, Salt & Straw is releasing six different heavenly beer-inspired pints, which can be ordered and shipped anywhere in the country online here. (Can you say, "Perfect Father's Day Gift"??)
Here are some of the flavors you can enjoy...
- Breakside Brewery's "Berliner Weisse Marmalade in Coconut Water" Sorbet - A tart, acidic passion fruit meets sweet coconut and marmalade in this Belgian Style treat.
- Gigantic Brewing Company's "IPA Upside Down Cake" Ice Cream - A pineapple, candied tangerine, and piney hop flavored ice cream with the perfect balance of sweet and spice.
- Hair of the Dog Brewing Company's "Cherry Adam from the Wood" Ice Cream - A dark malt, cherry flavored ice cream steeped in a bourbon barrel for a unique taste.
- Logsdon Organic Farmhouse Ale's "Bretta Fermented Pears and Fudge" Ice Cream - Using Bretta yeast and flavors used in making their Cocoa Bretta Ale, they added pear juice and malted fudge syrup to add dimension.
- The Commons Brewery's "Hopped Farmhouse Ale" Ice Cream - A tart sour ice cream with peach and bitter grapefruit Meridian hops aroma.
- Widmer Brothers Brewing's "Smoked Hefeweizen" Ice Cream - A smoked wheat flavor surprises the palate in a super creamy and sweet package
The Salt & Straw family of artisan ice creams are handmade from Lochmead Dairy in Eugene, which delivers fresh cream from "happy, grass-fed cows" and fruits grown by small hand-picked farms from around the world. Rather than simply flavoring ice cream with beer, Salt & Straw worked hands-on with the brewmasters to create summer treats that are inspired by their most-loved beers.
Are you drooling yet?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
We'd love to hear what you think, and will use your suggestions to make the site better, so feel free to speak your mind!